Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Something about Magic

Today I talked about my belief in magic for my introductory speech in my Oral Rhetoric class. Unfortunately, I never really got to the point of my speech because I was running out of time. It may have been a very charming introduction into my life, but I felt very unsatisfied with the logic (or lack of logic) which I used to convey my main point.

My main point was that pagan animism used to teach through folklore the creatures of mysticism, which we now attribute in western civilization as creatures of fairy tales. But even those notions of woodland spirit creatures must come from truth. A person must have at one point witnessed a single-horned, four-legged, horse-like creature.

Someone must have seen small, bearded men, and giants, and something must have inspired half-animal people. Our imagination is not built on the mystery of the unknown, but the adaptation of what we have already seen and known.

We cannot ignore what our forefathers have seen and interacted with. I am not a Neo-pagan, but I believe there is definitely a lot more that exists than what we have seen, and science has accredited as fact. That being said, I believe in magic.

Maybe not Harry Potter, or even Wicca. But we do interact with unseen forces, and more than the dualistic, Christian image of angels and demons, although those may exist as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment