Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Christening of Merlin

Okay. So I know I may sound completely obsessed, but I named my car the other day. I've never really had a thing for cars. But they get me from A to B, and they're generally reliable (as long as you excuse all of my sister's stories, of course).

My car is a red Saturn. I think Saturns are by Honda... maybe. I don't really know, and I could care even less. The point is, that my Saturn, is magic.

"The Days Are Just Packed" mentions my endeavors while in my Saturn slightly, and particularly how its trunk is capable of containing a fairly large bookcase without any trouble. It's getting awesome gas mileage so far, it rides pretty smoothly, and it's never without the perfect piece of wisdom to improve my day. That all being said, I have officially named my car, Merlin.

Truth be told, any inanimate object that I find myself spending time with on more than a regular basis I usually name. I've named pencils, trapperkeepers, backpacks, cameras, and even computers. For example, my computer's name is "Elias," and my guitar's name is "Joyfully." Something about naming an object brings out its personality and its value in one's life.

Losing that object will be worse once it's named. But George Gray has a response to such things. The truth be told, fear of loss cannot, and should never prevent us from doing what will enrich us, ultimately. Edgar Lee Masters plays the medium for George Gray's voice from beyond when he says:

"And now I know that we must lift the sail 10
And catch the winds of destiny
Wherever they drive the boat.
To put meaning in one’s life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire— 15
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid."

For the full poem:
http://www.bartleby.com/84/64.html





No comments:

Post a Comment