Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Midday Break

That car is amazing! My folks have lent it to me for a while, and boy has it been fun! It's a red Saturn, and pretty much the most versatile vehicle I've driven yet. This morning I fit an entire bookshelf (probably 3' x 3') perfectly into the trunk, without moving the back seats, or even leaving the trunk open.

The bookshelf came from an estate sale I found by mistake while lost. As much as I hate East Grand Rapids, and all of the ignorance it represents to me, from time to time, it has its uses. This morning, I was supposed to go to a mansion I visited yesterday, where a set of cups and plates had been laid aside for me. But my window of opportunity was only in the hour of nine o'clock.

The house was in the neighborhood between the intersections of Breton and Lake, and Hall and Lake. And guess what intersections were closed this morning so that half a million white people could pretend they're athletes? The very ones I needed to go through in order to pick up my dishes.

Frustrated, and cursing some teenage girls under my breath (for being particularly rude to me when I tried to sneak onto Lake from a side street), I eventually found myself reading a bunch of estate sale signs lining the road, all pointing towards one house a good distance from where I was supposed to be. But knowing I had lost the dishes from yesterday, I had to redeem my morning.

So I went to the sale and truthfully found some great wares. Although my pocket did not support the acquire everything I wanted, and I had to drag myself away from some very retirement-home-esque decorations, I managed to procure not only a great book shelf for $12, but I also got a very large set of plates and and bowls for $5, and a fully-functional sewing machine for $15! I mean this may be terrible to say, but I'm kind of thankful that that woman had passed on. She left behind some great, and very cheap things.

Of course, things always seem worse when one is suffering from a massive hang over. Maybe I'll elaborate on last night more in a different entry. But let's just say my first "kegger" was one of the best parties I've ever been to. That's what you get for having quality friends.

Speaking of which, the rest of the day up until now, I've also gone to a free pancake breakfast at the Koinonia house; met up with a great friend of mine, Brian Wallace; went with Wallace to the Annual, Calvin Apartments' Mudbowl; got into about fifty mud fights; yelled compliments off of a balcony to people passing by; danced like a goofball; caught up with another good buddy, Jeff Stern; gurgled apple sauce; got spewed on with applesauce by Brian; harvested peppers; and only now just sat down. Later, I'm going to wash a car with my good friend, Annie Nelson; have dinner with Andy Zeigler and Nate Dejong; maybe go to a bar with them; and then meet up with some other people at a bowling alley for Ashley Willaim's birthday party.

The days are just packed!

No comments:

Post a Comment