Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ears to Hear

"What do you value in your God?"

That was the question of yesterday morning.

The night before yesterday, I stayed up way too late working on my studies. I didn't feel like sleeping in my bed because there's some sort of r.o.u.s. taking residency above it in the attic. Instead, I pulled out my sleeping bag and favorite blanket and curled up on one of the couches in the family room.

Six hours later--around eight in the morning--one of my housemates came pounding down the stairs. He was late, and he was in a hurry. The couch I was sleeping on was right next to the stairs, so naturally the noise emitting from his descent sounded like lighting in my ears. I sat up in surprise, looking around to make sure had taken an early morning tumble.

Henry was flustered but fine, yelling an apology for waking me up as he ran out the front door. I laid back down, but sleeping wasn't an option anymore. My options were stay up or move upstairs to my bed and risk awaking later with a giant rodent on my face.

John woke up soon after, and seeing me in my usual morning stupor, asked if I would join him for a morning smoke on the porch. I don't smoke, but I love hanging out with people who do. They always have great conversations while smoking, and you can learn a lot from them.

This morning was no exception.

I don't recall what began the conversation, but we ended up on the topic of God's grace versus his justice. John insisted that our main focus should be on God's justice. I disagreed, and no matter how either of us put it, the other would not change views.

But the question of the conversation prevailed, "what do you value in God?" It seemed to be the main cause for differences in opinion between John and I.

I was suddenly reminded of a time when I was studying the story of Joseph in Genesis last year. I had the incredible revelation that God blesses those who work hard for Him. Each time Joseph was thrown into a new situation, he'd work diligently, and stay obedient to his boss, and the Lord would in turn bless him for his faithfulness and hard work.

This revelation was so moving for me, that I called one of my closest friends, Eric Peterson, to tell him about it. I was in the middle of saying how encouraging the story of Joseph was, and about to explain the part about diligence and obedience when Eric cut me off.

"Yeah," Eric said, "because God protects and provides for Joseph."

"Um, well, yeah," I replied, "that too. But I was really more talking about how Joseph's diligence and obedience to each of his employers."

I explained myself further, but Eric didn't agree. He said he felt as though the protection and provision by God was the main focus of Joseph's story. I insisted it was the honoring of diligence and obedience. We eventually agreed to disagree and hung up, leaving me with a sever dissatisfaction with our conversation. But then a thought dawned on me.

At the time, Eric was living at home near Chicago, struggling through a period of great need and uncertainty. I, on the other hand, was an R.A., and really wrestling with whether or not to be diligent in my work and faithful to my employer.

I realized that what we often don't see within disagreements of theology is how our perspectives are manipulated by our situations and needs.

With that in mind, it's a curious experience discussing views of God. One starts to wonder what the situation is of each person, and a light is shined upon what they require in life.

Ultimately, that should be our focus, anyways, when talking about God with one another. We should be learning each others' needs. It is a whole different motive. Instead of asking how you can convert someone, ask how you can meet that person's needs. Care for people. Listen to their stories.

John and I continued in our conversation, but I no longer argued my point, I listened. And the best part is, I learned a lot. God taught me something through the needs of someone else. After all, we are all broken.

In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful...

No comments:

Post a Comment