Sunday, October 18, 2009

Breaking with a lot of Uncertainty

Study break!

It's been too long since I've added onto this, and there are definitely a couple significant events that ought to be added.

A week ago last Tuesday I was leaving to go to school when I stepped outside and discovered my car no longer where I had parked it the night before. From what we can figure, I had parked Merlin across the street from someone's driveway a couple houses down from me, and they didn't like it, so they called the police and claimed that it was blocking their driveway. The police obligingly came and towed it bright and early that morning before anyone else was awake. The rest of my day was completely devoted to Merlin's recovery. Unfortunately, while I managed to grab a ride with Nate to get downtown to the police department, I did not have a ride from the police department to the impound. As it turns out, that's a 2.7 mile walk, and I actually walked past it before turning back, making that about a 3.2 mile walk. Oh yeah, and it was pouring rain the entire time. That was not a good day. I missed my class, payed a lot of money, and ultimately fell behind due to the lack of productivity on what usually functions as my main work day.

The weekend before I had spent on a somewhat entertaining camping trip with my Wilderness Pursuits class (a surprising requirement in order to pass the class). However, the weekends are normally my time of rest, and as I discovered that week, it's hard to be productive when you don't feel like you've really stopped or had a break for two weeks. My car getting impounded definitely didn't help getting on track for that week either. So I grew a beard and prayed to whatever God I pray to that my week might end well. And for all extensive purposes it did. I went to the Symphony with some great friends, and then met some other friends at a bar for a birthday. The rest of the weekend was extremely restful, and I managed to get substantial work done around the house.

I also decided that, so far, I've never met a Joe, Joey, or Joseph that I've liked besides my uncle Joe, and that makes me wonder if people really do develop certain characteristics based solely on their name. That thought made me decide I did not want to be like the other Davids. I have liked only a fraction of the Dave's and Davids that I've met. I want to be a Goodwin. Although I'm positive that only a fraction of the people I know like me.

Then last week I realized that I could not escape Jesus. This is because I sold him my soul for salvation. But then Obenchain completely rocked my world and asked me if the reason for joining a religion was really for personal salvation. She seemed to think personal salvation was a silly reason to subscribe to a belief system. Maybe I agree. But I certainly wasn't looking at it like that until she pointed that out. Now I'm considering joining a church.

And I guess that brings me to today. I went to Sherman Street church. Before the pastor even preached I knew what was going on. Jesus has begun his move back into my life. I suppose they were words of Sherman Street's chaplain that were my hint. She was encouraging the congregation to move about and greet one another, and she said something to the extent of whether we were in love with Jesus, but still learning more about Him everyday, or we were "yearning to know Jesus," we should move about. I don't like the name Jesus because of what it brings up in my mind. In my mind it represents a movement that is superficial, shallow, ignorant, and unproductive. But church this morning was hardly any of that. And quite frankly, I feel like the whole mess of Christianity is inescapable for me. It's something I can't leave. I really don't know what to do. Jesus really isn't working for me in one sense, but He definitely works in another. I really don't know.

I know it's jumbled and rushed and semi-confusing, but I had to get some of these thoughts out while I study. Sometimes I need a break from the things uncertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment