Thursday, October 1, 2009

Running for a Baby Banana

I have really strange dreams. Sometimes they're fun, other times terrifying. People talk about one or two reoccurring dreams they experience regularly. About the only regularity in my dreams is how bizarre they never fail to be.

A good number of them are so strange, I have to write them down. Every once in a while I even turn them into stories... except last time I did that, it didn't really make sense by the end.

Last night, I had a dream that started off in a very terrifying manner. Unfortunately I am only now attempting to record what I saw, and the only things that I remember clearly took place in the middle of my dreaming.

I was running down a side street in an unrecognizable neighborhood. The only familiar aspects of the area were houses that looked similar to the ones in my own neighborhood, and the African-American kids walking down the sidewalk. For some reason I ran over to the kids, and we exchanged some sort of discourse (the content of which now escapes me). Suddenly I heard a commotion down the street and around the corner, so I left the kids and ran to the next street.

There were no houses on this street. Instead, on one side was some sort of church, and on the other was a school. On the right side of the street (the school side, I believe), a car had crashed, and smoke was pouring out of it. A few people stood by dumbfounded, and at first I didn't know why. All I was focusing on at first were the people in the smoking car. They were friends of mine!

I ran to the car and began getting everyone out of it. Three of the four were dazed but otherwise in good health. The driver however was unconscious. I opened the door, unbuckled her seat belt, and carried her out of harm's way.

Then I turned and saw what everyone else was staring at. At the end of the street was a busy intersection with a traffic light. Cars were waiting at the light, lined up on the adjacent road. The woman who had caused my friends to run their car off the road was now driving away, having hijacked a US Post Office truck. She clearly intended to ram into a car waiting at the light, but what she didn't notice were two baby carriages in front of the car. I ran again, this time to try and stop her, but it was too late. Before I could do anything, she plowed into the car, t-boning it, and causing a slight explosion. One of the carriages was hurled sideways.

I ran to it and lifted the limp form of a child out and into my arms. It was dead. Then, before my eyes, it turned into a banana--unpeeled. Right now, it seems quite funny. But in the moment, I was filled with sadness. I began to weep, clutching the banana close. Soon the paramedics arrived. The mother was found and notified, and everyone was given their required care.

A few days later, but still in my dream, I was at a weird party. Again, I don't recall why, but just trust that it was weird from everything else I've described. We were eating, and someone started joking about a banana in a fruit bowl on the table. I couldn't stop myself. Without a word, I ran from the room crying; I never thought I'd recover.

I woke up then. For a moment I laid there, trying to cry. How does one find a good day in such a beginning?

Though truthfully, I look for meaning in my dreams. Today, I watched for accidents.

1 comment:

  1. Wow man. That is crazy. I still remember some of the dreams you've told me over the years of me sleeping in your room for interim or for visits and they are pretty detailed.

    I have recorded a couple different dreams, one was very much prophetic, another was much weirder.

    ReplyDelete